About Our Services
Our services are on Sundays at 10 am, followed by coffee hour in the Fellowship Hall. Children attend the introduction of the service with adults before being escorted to Religious Education class.
What's it like to attend a UUSG worship service?
We'll make you feel welcome at UUSG. Unitarian Universalism focuses on a set of principles and purposes, and most visitors to a UU church can connect with part or all of them. Dress casually for a service that lasts approximately an hour in our beautiful Sanctuary*, and is followed by coffee and conversation in the Fellowship Hall downstairs. The service provides a variety of readings and music, meditations and prayer. We alternate between a minister-led service and services provided by our Music and Worship committee. Sermon topics vary according to a central theme that is woven as well through the readings and musical selections. Following the service, join us for coffee, tea, or juice and snacks. Get to know other members and visitors at the church in a relaxed, informal atmosphere.
Elements of a typical Unitarian Universalist Sunday morning worship service include:
- Words of welcome
- Lighting a flaming chalice, the symbol of our faith
- A multi-generational segment, such as a “story for all ages” or a conversation with the children.
- Music, both instrumental and vocal and in a variety of styles
- A time for sharing the joys and concerns of the congregation
- A meditation or prayer
- Readings—ancient or contemporary
- A sermon given by a professional minister, a guest speaker, or a member of the congregation
- An offering, collecting financial donations to support the congregation.
- We offer Religious Education for children during the Sunday service.
Children are present for the first few elements of the Sunday service. After the multi-generational segment, they are ushered to the Fellowship Hall for Religious Education class, which lasts until the final hymn of the service.
*The third Sunday of each month is an “Accessible Sunday.” Worship services are held in the fellowship hall, which is on the ground level.